When buying a van first know the capacity of the towing vehicle. Check with local distributor. Ensure you have a suitable jack for lifting your caravan (turn all gas off before jacking). Paint hammer handle and annex pegs white. They are easier to see in long grass or at night. Keep a spanner handy to disconnect the battery in case of a short circuit. Click here for further information.
Care & Maintenance
Although maintenance procedures for caravans, trailers etc. are mostly common sense and follow the same principals as other vehicles, the following points may assist in covering areas which may otherwise be overlooked. Starting at the front of the caravan, the following points should be especially considered:-
Click here for further information
Code of Ethics
Consider others at all times
Observe the rules of the caravan park, recreational areas, National park and forestry areas.
Demonstrate a responsible attitude towards road safety.
Exercise extreme caution with fire:-
• Light campfires only in designated areas; never leave unattended; extinguish thoroughly.
• Ensure cigarettes and matches are thoroughly extinguished.
• Keep fire away from LP gas bottles.
• Extinguish pilot light flames when refuelling and travelling.
Offer help and the hand of friendship whenever possible because:-
Friendliness is catching.
Ensure permission is obtained to park on private property when other facilities are not available.
Travel with care:-
• Pull off the road periodically to allow other cars to pass.
• Drive in the left hand lane except when passing and allow extra room when overtaking.
• Be familiar with all traffic regulations, particularly those relating to recreational vehicles.
· When travelling in convoy, leave enough room for other vehicles to pass one van at a time.
• Check rear vision mirrors frequently.
• Keep within the legal towing speed limit.
Have fun when entertaining, but remember others nearby may be having an early night.
Instill good caravanning habits in younger family members.
Care for the environment:-
• Protect trees, shrubs and other natural beauty.
• Take litter home when no receptacles are available.
• Dispose of sewage and waste water in designated places only.
• Leave sites as clean or cleaner than they were found.
• Keep pets under control.
See that car and caravan are safe:-
• Ensure correct weight distribution of tow vehicle/caravan at all times.
• Regularly maintain tow vehicle and caravan.
• Use suitable rear vision mirrors and towing aids.
• When travelling, carry out daily P.O.W.E.R. check, ie Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber