Clarence River Light, also known as Yamba Light or Clarence Head Light, is an active lighthouse located on Pilot Hill, a hill in Wooli Park, south of the entrance of Clarence River. The current lighthouse was built in 1955, replacing a previous lighthouse built in 1880. It serves as the rear range light for two different ranges.
The first light on Pilot Hill was most probably a platform with a kerosene lamp, located on the eastern part of the hill. The first actual structure was a small wooden hut built in 1866 with a large kerosene lamp placed on a bench. The mast from this lighthouse is on display at the Story House Museum in Yamba.
In 1878 tenders were called for a permanent lighthouse, one of five lighthouses of similar design designed by James Barnet in 1878-
Like the other four lighthouses, it was a rather short tower, about 7 metres (23 ft) high, with a roofed porch connecting it to a rectangular annexe. It was visible for 6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi). A keeper's cottage was also constructed near-
In 1934 the Pacific Hotel was built in Yamba, and the light was somewhat obscured. In addition a water reservoir was to be built at the location. A new lighthouse was built in 1955, and the old lighthouse was demolished in 1956.
The new lighthouse was built in 1955 from concrete in a modern style. The apparatus from the old lighthouse was transferred.
The current light source is a FA-
The light is operated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, white the site is managed by the New South Wales Department of Lands. The grounds are open and accessible to the public, and parking is available close-
Distance & direction from Sydney: 679 Klms NE
Pilot Street, Yamba