The bridge was originally built in 1925 by Douglas’ Sawmill and used by bullock teams and log trucks to haul timber from Gulpa Island State Forest to the mill in Mathoura.
Mr Grey, a local building contractor who built many of the local bridges, drove the piles and mill staff constructed the bridge. A cutting approximately 2.4 meters deep was scooped from the top of the Cadell Fault to allow large loads of logs to be hauled to the mill.
Although previously called Douglas’ Bridge, it became locally known as Cranes Bridge because George Crane had charcoal kilns along the creek and also built a house nearby.
The bridge has recently been reconstructed thanks to the support of State Forests of N.S.W., Murray Shire Council, National Heritage Trust and volunteers from the Mathoura Community.
Distance & direction from Sydney: 753 Klms W SW
Off Cobb Highway, Mathoura
Tel: (03) 5884 3730