Take yourself back in time to the old Cobb & Co staging post of the One Tree Hotel made famous by Banjo Patterson's immortal poem, 'Hay and Hell and Booligal'. Built in 1862, the One Tree Hotel was named because of this lone large gum tree growing on a clay pan near a shallow fresh water well, about half a mile away. The hotel was a thriving business in the days until the licence was allowed to lapse in 1942.
One Tree is a location on the Cobb Highway on the flat plain between Hay and Booligal in the Riverina district of New South Wales, Australia. In 1862 a public house was built there – the One Tree Inn – and the locality developed as a coach changing-
The existing One Tree Hotel is the second building of that name to occupy the site. The first hotel was destroyed by fire in 1903. The hotel was re-
The license of the One Tree Hotel was relinquished in 1942 by its last publican, Frank McQuade. The One Tree Hotel is an important historical building, providing a tangible link to the heyday of pastoral settlement in the Riverina.
The name ‘One Tree’ derives from the presence of a large gum tree on the otherwise treeless plain (called the One Tree Plain). The landmark tree was destroyed by a storm in January 1900. The One Tree Hotel is constructed of split cypress-
The One Tree Hotel was placed on the Register of the National Estate in May 1991.
Distance & direction from Sydney: 773 Klms W SW
Cobb Highway, One Tree (38klms N of Hay)